Monday, July 18, 2011

Hands and Feet

I saw my son grieving himself to tears as he tries to help a friend overcome a vicious drug addiction.  His friend is going through withdrawals right now.  It's not pretty.  We took some groceries to his friend and my son is staying with him now to help him through this very difficult time.

That's a scary thing for me to witness.  On the one hand I wish my son had no contact with such things.  As a dear friend said, "I wish there was only one hand" sometimes. 

But on the other hand, my son said, "I can't NOT try to help, Dad.  I've been raised that way.  I've seen you do it all my life."

And then this question:  "What can I do?"

Of course my counsel, as best as I'm able, comes from Christ and what little I've learned in my short time volunteering at the mission.  I suggest Jesus and rehab. 

But right now the friend is not interested in Jesus...


Lord help me to help my son to help his friend.